Re: Beyong Oracle DBA

From: Keennetic Associates <webmaster_at_keennetic.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 02:06:38 +0800

Dino,

In Hong Kong, not so many companies focus on DBA role as you know. Or I should say there are many different kind of DBA in the market.

You should decide your future career path. You should ask yourselves "What do you want and to be after 5 years?". Because Oracle Hong Kong and its training partner is now pushing training course out to the market, they hard sell "DBA is the hotest job". Many junior IT workers think they will get high-paid after getting certificate. And many employers think DBA is the same as SA or system administrator. But you must understand that DBA job nature. Before the market grows, I know DBA is a advisor role in development team. He must know not only know Oracle database but also system architecture, business requirement, development skill, ..... in order to advice team member the database trend and usage. But now the market has been distorted.

I would suggest you go to SAP and Siebel trend. But you should train yourselves up with business sense.

Cheers,

Reid Lai Received on Sat Sep 08 2001 - 13:06:38 CDT