Re: I still believe CBO is better than RBO, but WTH?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 12:36:53 GMT

On Sat, 08 Sep 2001 10:23:52 GMT, "Buck Turgidson" <noway_at_nohow.com> wrote:

>I've been pulling my hair out with PeopleSoft (HR) SQL statement
>tuning for years. I often see Rule run better, in fact we run our
>instance in Rule, with some Choose hints placed on some on-line search
>views.

Yeah, same here. I'm lucky in that the HR database I'm running is really small and I can more or less cope with it with the h/w I've got. The Financials one (this one) is getting very large for the type of box we're running it in and pretty soon I'm gonna run out of steam to cope with the load. Peoplesoft is remarkably unhelpful in terms of hints and tips on how to tune it. I get the feeling noone here has ever run one with this size: they haven't got the foggiest how to improve it.

>The SQL in PeopleSoft 8 is horrendously bad.

I agree with you to a certain extent. The thing I find obnoxious in their setup is the choice of indexes and their columns. Nine times out of 10 I solve the performance problems by re-organizing the index columns. And they are invariably of the >8-column variety...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Sat Sep 08 2001 - 07:36:53 CDT