Re: aix listener

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2001 12:14:57 -0700

Ed Lufker <elufker_at_yagi.swcp.com> wrote in message news:<9n9a4i$96i$1_at_sloth.swcp.com>...
> Hi All;
>
> Does anyone have a tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, and sqlnet.ora that they
> can share with me from an AIX 4.3.3 system running oracle 8.1.5. I keep
> getting that ORA 12154 error, but the listener does start. I can connect
> using sqlplusand I have the SID variable set. I can't connect via
> sqlplus system_at_sid.world or sqlplus system_at_sid.
>
> thanks
> Eddie lufker

Ed, Just a couple of thoughts as I have managed to configure the listener successfully a couple of times though I am no expert on the subject.

1- Did you set the $TWO_TASK variable? It should override the $ORACLE_SID setting on just entering sqlplus system to point you where you want to go:
TWO_TASK=alias from tnsnames.ora
export TWO_TASK

If you are not using this variable then perhaps you can try it and see if you get aroung the problem.

2- With 8.1 it should be sqlplus system_at_service_name where service_name is an entry in the tnsnames.ora file not @sid. Note - many sites make the tnsnames.ora alias equal to the database sid, but they are not the same thing so I do not know if you are making an error or just used the wrong technical term. Prior to 8.1 the manual says the term is alias.

There should be no difference in the NET8 files on AIX and anyone else. Are you sure that the *.ora files are in the correct location for AIX. On Sequent it is /etc but on Pyramid it was /var/opt/oracle while on my VMS system it is $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. Remember that with 8.1 Oracle tried to make the listener so it did not have to be configured but could start and databases would look for it at the default port and register themselves. If you set your init.ora Net8 parameters then perhaps the listener is not using your files. I think the environment variable to control the location is tns_admin.  If you check you manuals you may be able to find the variable and set it to be sure Oracle is finding your files.

I hope this helps.