Can't connect to [new] 9i DB - SYSTEM & SYS accounts are locked

From: Mark Nagel <mnagel_at_powerhousetechnology.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2001 09:51:45 -0700

I recently installed Oracle 9i server on a Solaris 8 box and am unable to login via sqlplus. I get the error "ORA-2800: the account is locked" when attempting to login using SYS or SYSTEM. I used dbca to create 3 diffrent databases (without example schemas), and at the end of the creation process it instructed me to change the passwords on SYS andSYSTEM and to lock these accounts. I am quite sure that I am entering the passwords correctly, but I believe that the "lock"-ing issue is the problem. I cannot login using the scott account either (I believe that this won't exist without the example schema?)

Do I have to blow away these databases and start over again (and not lock the SYS and SYSTEM accounts)? Or is there something that I am overlooking?

I am not an Oracle DBA, nor do I play one on TV. I have been thrust into getting something up quickly and am not afforded the time to read through and digest the reams of documentation :-(

Thanks in advance,
Mark Nagel Received on Fri Sep 07 2001 - 11:51:45 CDT