Re: Setting standards

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 7 Sep 2001 06:41:00 -0700

Svend Jensen <svend_at_oraclecare.com> wrote in message news:<3B97C095.86A1BB3D_at_oraclecare.com>...
> First there is THE INSTALLATION STANDARD - the OFA
> Optimal Flexible Architecture by Cary Millsap. A white paper.
>
> Then there is the coding std. (there are many around - some god)
> I prefer the std. where everything has a long and a short name and
> all table columns have the shortname prefixed.
> Table DEPTARTMENT shortname D (or DEP),
> column LOCATION is named D_LOCATION (if D is short)
> Nonunique indexes on column is named I_D_LOCATION,
> uniques start with U_, primary keys PK_ foreign keys FK_
> function based FB_ and index org tables IOT_ ...
>
> Then there is the backup std. I prefer archivelog mode with
> hot backup every night after a workday, cold backup sundays
> in the range once a week to once every 3 months. Depending
> on how much work (and time) there is to recover ~ x* update done.
>
> And then there is much more to it.... happy hunting.
>
> /Svend Jensen
>
> Myron Murff wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any recommendations for developing "standards", for all
> > aspects of operation, in a virgin Oracle environment?

Oh dear, it it was so easy I would have some problems solved. Some of my people works on those standars for few months. And I still have one project in front of me. Standards can be really complex and difficult to set.
Just only application standards can has maybe hundreds of pages. I do not think that one post in news will solve this issue. Application standards can be: naming conventions, rules for data sharing, rules for developers, security conventions, resource policies for users, policies for batch input, test/QAS/productional systems policies, support and Helpdesk rules and lots of others. And of course system standards that's another huge topic.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net was cancelled due to changes (maybe we can
call it a overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using this
email to prevent SPAM, maybe one day I will chnage it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.