Re: how to add existing datafiles to database?

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2001 05:56:29 -0700

mednyk_at_hotmail.com (inna) wrote in message news:<347a408b.0109061249.6839bff8_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi, This is my question:
> The server where Oracle 8.0 was installed , crushed .
> I have to reinstall Oracle. But I have still Ora_home\database folder
> where I have datafiles of old databases, I have backup of pfile , but
> I am not sure about .ctl file if I have it good.
> Is it possible after I install Oracle on another drive, to recover
> those databases, datafiles of which I have. If Yes How?
> Thank you.

If ALL your database files including redo, control are still present then once you re-install Oracle then providing it is the same version you may not have to manually recover your database at all. You would need to recreate your init.ora for any non-default settings you were using but if the other files are still present you should be able to start Oracle and let it go into recovery mode. If everything is present it will be fine.

If on the other hand you lost a few of the database files then how you preceede depends on what you lost and what kind of backups you have: hot or cold physical backups or only logical backups exports or data extractions.

Which brings up the point, Why are you re-installing Oracle? Don't you have a backup of the Oracle binary (Oracle Home)? If so just recover it. Otherwise besides the init.ora file you may have to reconfigure your Net8 files depending where your system keeps them: /etc, /var/opt/oracle, or $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.

If your system runs in archive log mode then you also need to make sure that your archived redo logs are available.

If you have hot backups you would copy any missing files from the hot backup location overlaying the database file. Then start the db and Oracle will notify you of what it needs.

If you have cold backups then you must overlay all database data files including the control file but not the redo logs to put the entire database at a consistent point in time.

There is an excellent chapter in the DBA Admin manual on recovery. It does a very good job of explaining how to perform backups and recovery, and should help you figure out what it is you need to do. There is a good chance you will not even have to consult the Backup and Recovery Manual unless you made your backups using rman.

I hope this helps.