Re: NUMA init.ora settings

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 07 Sep 2001 11:14:44 +0100 (BST)

Dave <dherri_at_acxiom.com> wrote:
>Folks, I'm running an Oracle 8.1.7.2.0 database on a GS160 16x16
>(Tru64 5.1) and have noticed 3 hidden NUMA-related params:
>_NUMA_instance_mapping, _NUMA_pool_size, and
>_enable_NUMA_optimization. The latter is set by default to TRUE, but
>the other 2 are currently "Not specified". Does anyone have
>experience with these, such as suggested ranges of values and ways to
>test their effectiveness?

I didn't modify any of those when I ran a GS320 benchmark. The NUMA optimisations apparently do things like give separate data structures for each QBB.

I saw a marked benefit in binding volume processing processes from our application to individual QBBs. Forcing locality between the client and server processes seems to be much better than just letting the scheduler handle it. Of course, if your application involves only remote connections, then that's irrelevant.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/