Re: compressing primary key indexes

From: Matthias Gresz <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 07:59:41 GMT

In article <999811332.14741.0.nnrp-08.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>, Jonathan Lewis says...

>When all else fails, create the index, then
>add the constraint. There is no inherent
>reason why you can't do what you want
>to do - probably some minor detail of
>irritating syntax.
>
>BTW Given that this is a very large table,
>you may want to create the index 'unusable'
>then rebuild it partition by partition.
>
>--

You sure that this works? With 8.1.6.3.1 on NT I encountered that creating a PK over fields where an index already exists leads to the following behaviour:

When chekcing FK consistency, the server uses the prebuild index. When inserting a new row the prebuild index isn't updated. The result is that for all newly inserted items, oracle refuses to let you insert chield records in a chield table.

Matthias Received on Fri Sep 07 2001 - 02:59:41 CDT