Re: State of data over the time

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:03:25 +1000

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:999809618.13730.0.nnrp-08.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> The performance impact is minimal only if you don't use it.
> Rule of thumb:
> Rolling back for read consistency is always expensive.
> Rolling back more than a short distance is extremely expensive.

You're right of course: I should have been more careful in my phrasing. What I meant by saying performance impact was minimal was that the mere act of retaining rollback is not a performance crippler in the way that firing off DML triggers or having to do double-inserts into versioning tables (as I saw suggested by others) would have been. Moreover, flashback merely retains additional undo... it doesn't cause more to be generated for a given transaction than before.

In other words: yes, his *reporting* on the state of data X days ago will be expensive, but his current and continuing DML on the table will progress unhindered and unimpeded.

Regards
HJR