Re: Back to the future

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:29:05 -0700

Dino

Depends on what sort of failure you're trying to protect from. OPS (or RAC in 9i) protect against machine failure, standby or replication normally protect against site failure (replication is generally used for other reasons, too). The reason I say normally is because I have seen clients use replication from one node to another of a cluster for machine failure protection. When I pointed out to them what OPS was (this was in the 7.3 days), they hadn't actually heard of it but got interested pretty quickly!

--
HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete
Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"
Now got a life back again that the book is released!

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA