Re: Setting standards

From: Svend Jensen <svend_at_oraclecare.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 20:29:41 +0200

First there is THE INSTALLATION STANDARD - the OFA Optimal Flexible Architecture by Cary Millsap. A white paper.

Then there is the coding std. (there are many around - some god) I prefer the std. where everything has a long and a short name and all table columns have the shortname prefixed. Table DEPTARTMENT shortname D (or DEP),
column LOCATION is named D_LOCATION (if D is short) Nonunique indexes on column is named I_D_LOCATION, uniques start with U_, primary keys PK_ foreign keys FK_ function based FB_ and index org tables IOT_ ...

Then there is the backup std. I prefer archivelog mode with hot backup every night after a workday, cold backup sundays in the range once a week to once every 3 months. Depending on how much work (and time) there is to recover ~ x* update done.

And then there is much more to it.... happy hunting.

/Svend Jensen