Re: Tuning Question: Can 'rule based' optimizer enforced on a tablespace

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:47:05 GMT

On 6 Sep 2001 07:33:34 -0700, hhjin_at_yahoo.com (Helen) wrote:

>We currently set the optimizer to be 'choose'.
>
>My understanding is that one can change the optimizer on session
>level, instance level or statement leve.
>
>But our product vendor suggested to use 'rule based' for a certain
>tablespace. Can this be done and how?

Indirectly, yes. You analyze every table and index in sight except the ones living in that tablespace. Because you have choose, in theory it should pick up the RBO for those.

Having said that, after the last two days I lost all confidence in all this "choose does this, first-rows does that" rigmarole. It's obvious ORACLE has made some fundamental changes to the way the optimizer as a whole works and hasn't told anybody about it. So take with a grain of salt the bit above.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Sep 06 2001 - 09:47:05 CDT