Re: Tuning Help

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_nospam.hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 21:30:22 GMT

Before anyone can comment on it, you need to post the explain plan along with the actual query.
FIRST_ROWS hint will automatically use the CBO. Though I suppose in your case
you are more interested in the ALL_ROWS hint. Other hints you mentioned will use RBO (hence won't use table statistics). Try enabling the CBO explicitly by issuing ALTER SESSION SET optimizer_goal=choose;

In tuning you should be more concerned with the physical I/O than with cpu time (i.e. reducing physical i/o).
Considering the amount of data your report is returning, maybe the sort operation needs
to be tuned by the DBA. I would assume that disk sorts are occuring. You can check this
by querying V$sort_usage.

Anurag