Re: Help on Insert with Select

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:24:53 +0100

The table into which you insert contains the column that is an object type, therefore the column that is to be inserted has to be an object type.

The table from which you select contains no object type, so the multiple columns you select have to be converted into an object before they can be inserted.

Looking at it another way -

    your target table has only 4 columns     your source (table) has 12 columns
You have to make your select statement appear to have only 4 columns, hence you collapse 9 of them into a single object_type column at select time.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.