Re: a practice question of backup & recovery

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 20:27:04 +0200

The question does not mention a clone situation so I can't take that into consideration for the answer.

That creating the controlfile has to be the first step in a recovery process in clear: without a controlfile no mounted database. So: answer A is impossible.

As far as my knowledge goes (with 10 years Oracle DBA experience, just passed for the Oracle 8 Backup and recovery OCP exam): 1. To be able to create a new controlfile ('alter database backup controlfile to trace (or to <file>) the db must be mounted or open. (Test on a nomounted db gives ORA-1507).
2. If I can create a new controlfile from a mounted or open database this implies the current controlfile is valid, so why would I need a new controlfile?
3. If I need a new controlfile this implies the current ones are all damaged or lost so I can't mount the db anymore and therefore I can't make it from the db anymore.
So: answer C is impossible. Apparently I must be overlooking something here.

Anser D assumes I have a backup controlfile made before this situation occured (to trace or to file, does not matter). So it is possible but requires an assumption.

But answer B is also possible: before the tapes are restored I have a lot of time to manually type in a script that does a 'create controlfile ......' . After using it I can apply the redo logs (assuming archived redo logs and the database is running in archive log mode)

When I check the book (A76993-01 Backup and Recovery Guide Release 2 (8.1.6), Chapter 6 - Media Recovery Scenario's, Loosing all copies of the current controlfile) the only way to recover is using a 'backup controlfile to file' file, create an new one using the (if necessary adjusted) statement from 'backup control file to trace' file or manually type in the create controlfile statement again - which is almost impossible because I must know the filename's belonging to the file id's (that is: in the order the datafiles where added to the database).

I don't say the OCP exams should be easy. A difficult exam make the "Certified DBA" certificate more valuable. But it are these kind of questions that makes it nasty.

Anton Buijs

Reid Lai <reidlai_at_netvigator.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 3B965D91.D009C355_at_netvigator.com...