Re: Is this an "unexpected feature" of 9i?

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 08:19:37 -0700

I'd tend to agree with you on this one. It's not a method I've tested, but I can see why it's a problem. When the resumable operation suspends, it cycles every 30 seconds to see if the space error has been resolved. In this case, it hasn't really been resolved because the file hasn't grown. Maybe log it as an enhancement request.

Don't forget that there's an AFTER SUSPEND trigger now that allows you to do something to address the problem, but that's not the place to put an ALTER DATABASE command anyway. What you should do is page the DBA, sending them the details of the problem (you can get this from the DBMS_RESUMABLE.SPACE_ERROR_INFO procedure). The reason I say don't use the ALTER DATABASE command is simple - what if the operation that suspends is using another datafile? You could, I suppose, put an almighty CASE statement in that checks the tablespace name in the aforementioned procedure and resizes the datafiles appropriately, but that's getting too messy for my liking!

--
HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete
Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"
Now got a life back again that the book is released!

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA