Re: limit number of connections on oracle account

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:07:41 +1000

I've seen such an approach implemented, and it was an unmitigated disaster. Poor old DBA (it wasn't me, btw) was forever having to manually re-set the 'counter table', because the wonderful developers had forgotten about just one small, tiny thing: human nature.

When Users just switched their PCs off at the end of the day, as they invariably did because it was quicker than closing the thing down "properly", a certain log off trigger never fired, and a certain little table entry was thus never decremented.

Every third day, he'd get about 20 phone calls in quick succession around 9.00am as user after user was refused access to the system.

It was a disgrace.

But as you say, YMMV

Regards