Re: Null and empty string

From: Marko Mikulicic <nospam_at_spamseul.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 19:39:16 +0228

Mikolaj Morzy wrote:

> Quoting Oracle9i documentation:
>
> A string of zero length ('') is not equivalent to a NULL
> value. According to the ANSI SQL 1992 Transitional standard, a
> zero-length or empty string is not the same as NULL. Ensure that
> applications do not treat empty strings and NULL values equivalently.
>
> This can be found under " Oracle8 and Oracle8i Desupported and
> Deprecated Features". I'd suggest NOT to use an empty string as a
> representation of a NULL value as they are semantically different.

I'd like to tread them differently but "select * from a where b is null" returns them. I'm not using that deprecated feature, it's using me !

Also the wrapper library which I use
returns me a null objects. It gets this info testing (-1) the indicator from a define (usig the function "odefin").  Is "odefin" part of and older interface wich doesn't conform to the ANSI SQL 1992 Transitional standard ? Is there a way to set ansi compliant behavior globally or per session ?

Marko Received on Tue Sep 04 2001 - 12:11:16 CDT