Re: How to find out the current time zone in Oracle?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 16:07:00 GMT

On 4 Sep 2001 08:17:43 -0700, pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote:

>I think that evalution is not the problem even for longer times,
>because we run more than hundred of Oracle Server EEs, so we're quite
>popular in local Oracle office.

Hehehe! Yeah, I can see why...

>I haven't exact information about situation in USA or Australia, but
>here a good techie is a really precious stuff.

Not here, chief. They can't even identify good techies, let alone maintain them. It's a pure and simple numbers game. Nothing else whatsoever matters.

It's what I call the "hit-and-run" technique: get the position, save as much money as possible and quickly jump up the ladder. Let the next sucker solve the long term problems caused by the indiscriminate penny-pinching and the aggravated staff.

>To be honest if I'll lost three key men, I'm deep in trouble.

Exactly. But you're smart enough to identify and address it. Rare. Today we lost one of our best Java designers. All because we have no career progress path for people like him. It's gonna cost, *big time*, to find a replacement. But I'll bet no one will figure that into the career path and salary reviews of the next one...

>with detail understanding of backgrounds. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm just
>a bad techie and a bad manager together in one person. :-)

Maybe. In my book, that sounds like what I call a real IT manager. As opposed to an opportunist, which is what so many "managers" nowadays are.

>Their motivation should be their brains and desire to solve technical
>problems.

Exactly. Those are the ones that should be encouraged to stay. Not the "lollie" people or the 9to5 "cheap drones". Useless to waste time and training on them.

>Who cares about HR people ? I didn't seen anyone from HR for few
>months.

Says it all, doesn't it? They really don't have a clue, just theories.

>We have very low fluctuation, because we offer interesting
>work, latest technology (HW and after some time to test even SW) to
>play with and indeed a competetive salary. Oh, that sounds like a
>classic HR talk. :-)

Now,now! :-D

Thanks for the chat. Sorry for the rant, but having been in this business for so long certain approaches to it rub me the wrong way. I've seen before what the current "acceptable" mgmt attitude leads to, and it's not good. P*sses me off.

Anyways, Saturday is coming and I must plan my gardening and woodcarving schedule. Isn't life wonderfull? ;-)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Sep 04 2001 - 11:07:00 CDT