Re: database create tool (dbca) hangs on "creating instance" 9i

From: buckwheat <aceducy_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:52:11 -0400

Howard - thanks so much. I'll give it another whirl when I get the time, prob tonight. The first thing I did was ensure the system vars were correct, then made sure permissions and groups were the way the manual said. You do have a few items below that I did not try, so maybe that'll do it.

Now that you've got it going, how does it compare to 8?

Greg

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3b93e91c_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> "buckwheat" <aceducy_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I tried that too.
> > Did the install, then did a dbca/create database.
> > Let it default to everything, then it hung on "creating the instance".
> > Waited 30 mins, then aborted.
>
> From my experiences just yesterday, I think you might be being a tad
> impatient. Give it 2 hours, and then start frothing!
>
> > This left a process called "oracle" is still running, using about 90%
cpu.
> > Only way to ice it is kill -9.
> > Tried this 9i install on another Sol8 machine, same results.
> >
> > Now I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem - oh well, back
> > 8i
> >

> If I can get it running on Linux, barely knowing one end of a grep from
the
> other, it's not an Oracle software issue. You said you checked the kernel
> parameters ... what did you set ALL of them to?
>
> Another thing you can try: go to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs and copy the default
> init.ora to be initSID.ora (whatever your ORACLE_SID is set to,
obviously).
> Then fire up sqlplus, and try a startup nomount. See what errors you get
> then (if it's the end of file on communication channel one, I'd strongly
> suspect your kernel parameters or a permissions problem).
>
> One more thing: you have the right version of the JRE? And you correctly
> pointed to that during the install?
>
> And finally... is this a "clean" Solaris installation, or are you
> shoe-horning it into a previously-used box. No telling what's been set if
> it's not clean, which might be a contributing issue.
>
> > You know Oracle - you guys put buggy s/w like this on your download
site.
> > You do this knowning full well the *only* people that will get it going
> are
> > those with "gold" support, and can call in to get the fix. So why put
it
> > out there?
>
> Like I say, it isn't buggy (well, this part of it isn't at any rate).
It's
> a darned sight more tricky than a mere Windows user is used to, but I've
> found no need for a gold suport contract to get it working.
>
> I guess I'm just saying that it's no good giving up at this stage:
something