NT shutdown question

From: <dana.stockler_at_hydro.com>
Date: 3 Sep 2001 09:22:31 GMT

Windows NT 4 / Oracle 8.1.7

I have the following registry settings:

ORA_sid_SHUTDOWN=TRUE
ORA_sid_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT=300
ORA_sid_SHUTDOWNTYPE=I

According to the documentation, if I stop the OracleServiceSID service the database will be shutdown using immediate mode with a timeout time of 300 seconds.

My question is: If the database has not shutdown within 300 seconds, what happens? Is a shutdown in abort mode attempted instead? or is the Oracle process just brutally killed in an uncontrolled manner? I am assuming
that the service is quaranteed to stop one way or the other. Is this true?

I have been thinking about using 'net stop OracleServiceSID' to shutdown my databases in my maintenance scripts because of the built-in timeout. I occasionally have a 'hang' situation when using 'shutdown immediate' which obviously prevents the rest of the script from executing.

Thanks for any help.

Baldo Received on Mon Sep 03 2001 - 04:22:31 CDT