Re: 9iAS... Forms Servlet... Some remarks, questions.

From: Han <hantms_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Sep 2001 22:16:53 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<touo4m9fss0u3f_at_news.demon.nl>...

> Maybe you should switch to a more toy-like product and/or fight your wars
> with Oracle with Oracle Support instead of in these newsgroups.
> But then as you consider Oracle to deliver 'bloatware'
> you probably didn't buy support didn't you, as you see to know already
> everything about it.

No, we did buy support, however we will not continue paying for support when our license expires as they have been utterly useless, both on the phone and on the web. I'll give you an example of each to illustrate the point:

Phone support: Last Friday, Oracle support claimed that Patch version 4 was the most recent patch for Oracle Forms/Reports. We had to e-mail them a screen shot of where to locate the patch on Oracle's own Metalink support site to prove to them that the current version it is indeed 7. (We need them to EMS us a CD-ROM as we couldn't get the 100MB file downloaded).

Web support: Have a look at Metalink Forums and see for yourself. Someone asks a question, then an Oracle support person either answers something else, quotes an 'Oracle White Paper' on a remotely related subject, or ignores the question. The most help actually comes from other users, not Oracle. (Which is fine in itself; it makes Metalink still a useful place to look for info)

Also, what makes you think I'm looking for a toy? We're running a great Forms application which we now need on the web as well. If there was a toy that could do that besides 9iAS then believe me I'd try it.

Finally, disregard my remark about bloatware; actually I don't mind what size it is, just let it install without errors and hours of going through config files, the registry and other environment variables then I'm happy.

Back to 9iAS, it seems the installer doesn't allow you to install JUST Forms Services and the HTTP server. However people tell me that with Oracle 8.1.7 you CAN choose to install just the HTTP server. Then apply patch 7 to an existing Forms6i installation, and then it should be possible to make it work.

Regards,
Han. Received on Mon Sep 03 2001 - 00:16:53 CDT