Re: compress a tablespace

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 08:08:19 +1000

Depends what you mean by "solution". Yes, it will fix up fragmentation (though I'd probably stick an 'alter tablespace blah coalesce' in there, just before you start importing).

But it's not a "cure", in the sense that it will start happening all over again, and one day, you'll have to repeat the procedure.

The only permanent, 100% effective solution for tablespace fragmentation is to ensure that every single extent in a given tablespace is of the exact same size as every other. You can only guarantee to achieve that with 8i's locally managed tablespaces, but there is a MINIMUM EXTENT clause in 8.0 that can help.

Regards