Re: Oracle 8.1.7 - Connection - Creating the DB - DBA

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:10:57 +0200

"Prakash C N" <prakashcn_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7e1c2f8c.0109020326.1449f70d_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am not able to create 1st instance/SID/database
> on oracle 8.1.7 on Sun Solaris,
>
> When i try to use the dbassist, it gives an error
> "not connected with option to ignore or abort",
> if i ignore then the db is created, but the instance
> never comes up and if the abort the db is not created
>
> I would like to know, when creating a db - will it
> connect to oracle??????,
>
> can some body help me out????? - how to create DB?
>
> -Prax

Creating a database will definitely connect to the database. If all is well dbassist should have created database creation scripts typically in the directory
$ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/create

You can run them in sqlplus without using the db creation assistant. Chances are you also get more specific error messages.

Right now, specifically as to your assertion 'the instance never comes up' you should already be capable to find error messages in the file alert$ORACLE_SID.log
typically located in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/bdump

If you see any error messages, assuming you are not able to resolve them yourself, please post them.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sun Sep 02 2001 - 13:10:57 CDT