Re: tnsping works, SQL/Plus does not

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Sep 2001 06:39:57 -0700

cory_at_localhost.localdomain (Cory Phillips) wrote in message news:<slrn9p1dtt.1iu.cory_at_localhost.localdomain>...
> When I started SQL Plus, it was unresponsive for a few minutes, then it
> reported "Could not resolve Service name".
> ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>
> I searched my hard drive and found two tnsnames.ora files. I already
> had my connect string set up in one but not the other, so I also added
> it to
> d:\bin\orawin95\net80\admin\tnsnames.ora
>
> So now I have both d:\bin\orawin95\net80\admin\tnsnames.ora and
> d:\bin\orawin95\network\admin\tnsnames.ora. So which is it anyway?
> Net80 or Network?

I'm really suspicious of your directory structure. It would appear that you have installed both an Oracle 8.0.x and 8.1.x in the same Oracle home. The Oracle 8.0.x client uses the net80 directory while the 8i client uses the network directory. If you actually have both versions installed, they're stomping all over each other, ensuring that neither will work. The only way to resolve this sort of conflict would be to get rid of all the Oracle software on your machine and re-install.

Justin Cave Received on Sun Sep 02 2001 - 08:39:57 CDT