Re: Installing 9i on Linux

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 05:32:17 GMT

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 13:37:37 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

>I know the basic mount command, but if I try "mount /u01 /some_directory",
>it doesn't work, so the subtleties of its syntax must be escaping me. Any
>suggestions for how to get this working, and what my mount point should
>actually reference?

A mount point is any directory (folder) in the hierarchy, from root (which is "/").

When you are creating mountpoints, all you do is "mkdir /<name>" (or any other point further down the hierarchy). After that, you *need* to give it a raw device (disk partition) so that disk space for that directory can come from there, instead of the default root disk space.

Basically, you are creating a "fork" off the main hierarchy and attaching disk space to it.

So, the "mount" command must identify the directory you want (in this case "/u01") and the disk space you are giving it, which should be the name of one of the disk partitions in your raw disk directory (probably in /dev/rdsk, but I'm not familiar with Suse).

As for the users, I can't help. Not only not familiar with Suse, but last time I had to add users to Unix, I ended up editing the users and groups files myself: faster...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Sep 02 2001 - 00:32:17 CDT