Re: Getting database hangs on package rebuilds

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 00:37:43 GMT

john.darrah_at_spambadusa.net (John Darrah) wrote in news:999296316.721849_at_proxy.storm.co.za:

> Here is the problem. When we push code in our production environment
> all of our sessions lock up because they cannot aquire a latch to pin
> and load a specific package. Our current work around is to crash the
> instance when this problem comes up. Does anybody know how to best
> diagnose this? What we are seeing is after the package is rebuilt,
> v$session_wait shows an increasing number of sessions show the "library
> cache pin" or "library cache load" event. If I try to execute a
> function from the package, my session will hang. If anyone can give me
> some places to look to find out what is going on here, I'd appreciate
> it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
> Feel free to email me (remove the spambad) either at the address above
> or jdarrah_at_veripostspambad.net

Here are some things to consider ->

1) Nobody can be using a package when it get "replaced".
2) Replacing a package can cause other objects to go invalid.
3) When other ojbects go invalid they may need to be recompiled.
4) Object in #3 may "depend" upon package in #1.

A more basic question is why in the world are you changing production code in the middle of the work DAY????????????? Received on Sat Sep 01 2001 - 19:37:43 CDT