Re: ora-1122 Is this due to a timestamp on the control file?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 21:02:53 +0200

"Fontzter" <d.fontz_at_home.com> wrote in message news:EfZj7.46091$hT4.12225272_at_news1.rdc1.md.home.com...
> Hello All,
>
> We had a problem where we can't get into a database. It seems that this
may
> have been caused by a power failure. The error message in the log is
> ora-1122 signaled.
>
> The big issue is that it seems that we do not have a viable backup from
> which to restore. Is there a way to recreate teh control file? This is
an
> ADP payroll system running on top of the Oracle 7.3.4.0.0.
>
> This is critical and any help would be appreciated. We don't have a savvy
> Oracle person on staff and I am trying to muddle my way through to a
> solution.
>
> TIA,
>
> Dave

From the Oracle Server Messages manual

ORA-01122 datafile name - failed verification check

Cause: The information in the datafile is inconsistent with information from the control file. This could be for any of the following reasons:

The control file is from a time earlier than the datafiles. The datafile size does not match the size specified in the control file. The datafile is corrupted.

end quote

1 can be verified manually
2 can not be verified manually
3 can be verified with the dbverify utility *on the datafile*

also:
provided you have different controlfiles, check whether they are identical.

However, it very much looks like you are in a fix, and or on the way of loosing your database.
I would make a backup of the current system NOW (whether corrupt or not corrupt doesn't matter in this case, you should at least have anything, when you are going into copying/overwriting controlfiles)

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sat Sep 01 2001 - 14:02:53 CDT