Re: tnsping works, SQL/Plus does not

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:54:52 +0100

I have seen this behaviour when the remote server is behind a firewall. If this is the case then the explanation is that although port 1521 is open on the firewall allowing tnsping to work, the listener allocates a random port for the actual database session. This port will be blocked resulting in the behaviour you see. Of course if this is not the case I have no idea without error messages. you could try setting tracing on your net8 connections and seeing what the logfile says.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA