Re: 8.1.7 hangs on inserts

From: Kris <free_heeler226_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:50:31 -0600

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> "Kris" <free_heeler226_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>I've got a Java process that inserts records into an table, it runs
>>great. However, just before our DBA left for Greece for two weeks he
>>exported the database and then imported it to a new instance. When I
>>run the exact same process on the new instance it takes between three
>>seconds and twenty minutes to insert every 1000 records. When I run the
>>process against the original instance it chugs along at a consistent
>>1000 records every ten seconds.
>>
>>Both instances are on the same machine, I'm the only user on the
>>machine, the only thing that's changed in the Java code is the
>>sid/username/password.
>>
>>Since the DBA did an export/import I'm wondering what could be causing
>>this problem and where is the best place to start looking for
>>differences in the two instances.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Kris
>>

> I would start checking the size of the online redolog files
> (select * from v$log)
> and the frequency of checkpoints occurring
> select * from v$log_history.
>
> I guess he didn't change them from default, and the defaults are in most
> situations too small.
> You can also check in the alert log
> (alert<sid>.log located in the background_dump_dest directory (show
> parameter background_dump_dest will tell you where that is)
> whether you have
> 'checkpoint not complete messages'
> If you have those you need to chance the redolog configuration
> by alter database drop logfile group <n>
> followed by alter database add logfile group <n>
> ('filename1...','filename2...') size (minimum 5M, the default is 500k)
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks for the answer. I did a diff on the init files for each instance and the working instance had this line:

mts_dispatchers = "(protocol=TCP)"

commented out. I commented it out in the new instance and everything seems to be working fine. I have only a vague idea what the mts_dispatchers do, but I know we don't them for right now. Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 17:50:31 CDT