Keeping an Oracle 8.1.7 SGA in Physical Memory on Solaris 8

From: Peter Shankey <shankeyp_at_its.charlestoncounty.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:08:26 GMT

Oracle has an parameter called LOCK_SGA which will lock the memory the SGA uses into physical memory. I saw a tech note on metalink.oracle.com but it applied to HPUX. The error I get on Solaris is:

Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

SQL> shutdown immediate
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> startup
ORA-27126: unable to lock shared memory segment in core SVR4 Error: 1: Not owner
SQL> My question is how do or can I configure the OS to do this, and has anyone had bad experiences doing this?

My situation is I have a couple of test Oracle instances and a couple of product one. I want the production instances to get the memory. Unfortunately I am maxed on memory.

Pete Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 12:08:26 CDT