Re: moving a database from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2001 08:13:10 -0500

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:

>> I have a database under 8.0.5 and would like to move it most
>> elegantly to 8.1.7. Do I have to use EXP80 or is there another
>> way, e.g. to copy the database files over to the 8.1.7 server?
>>
>> --
>> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

> Assuming no cross-platform operation is involved, bringing an
> 8.0 instance to 8i only requires upgrading the datadictionary.
> The Oracle Migration Assistant will take care of that. Don't
> forget to bump your compatible parameter after migration,
> Oracle tools usually leave it unaffected.

Sybrand,

I do believe he has two different machines, one with 8.0 and one with 8.1.7 and he wants to know if something other than export can be used to accomplish migrating his data over, unless the migration assistant does this as well.

Chris,

I think I would use exp/imp for this, but you might have really large datasets which would involve loads of time for writing to the OS's. Maybe your exp can write to a pipe on the 8.0 OS which is read by another pipe on the 8.1.7 OS (the two pipes connected by a dd process) and the second pipe is subsequently read by an imp on the 8.1.7 server? (This is assuming a UNIX OS for both sides) This, then, allows for your process to never actually write anything to the OS which could save you a reasonable amount of time. The way to accomplish this is to start everything in reverse order. Start the imp on the 8.1.7 server, then the dd between the pipes then the exp on the 8.0 server. Once the exp starts the imp will start.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.