How to populate column changes system-wide?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:50:36 +0800

Dear all,

Today we learned some basics about an ERP package called Axapta (from Navision-Dammgaard, www.navision.com). We are impressed by the capability that it can populate column changes system-wide with just the change made in one place. For example, if we have a column (or a type of column) called 'product number', say 7-digit in length, which might well exists in hundreds of tables (forms, reports as well), and we want to change it to 10-digit later, it is as easy as to change a type definition and populate (its term 'synchronize') it, which might have cost us months of re-work traditionally. When we see this, we also see this is achieved by adding one middle layer called 'extended data type' between table definition and the fundamental data types such as strings or numbers. (it reminds me of the analog that roles are introduced as the middle layer between privilleges and users) Table columns are defined with 'extended data types' rather than the fundamental data types, so when we make changes to the extended data types, all columns of all tables in the system with this data type are changed at the same time.

As we know that types can be defined as objects in Oracle, but we don't see they function as the middle layer as does the package (which can store their data either in SQL Server or Oracle). Does anyone know how to do this in Oracle without any on-top-of-it package?

One more question, anyone remember when the 'alter table add / modify / drop column' function is supported in Oracle? Thanks in advance.

Dino Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 07:50:36 CDT