Query in a Stored Procedure

From: Roman Sochan <rsochan_at_removeme.ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:41:54 -0700

I'm new to Oracle stored procedures (my experience is with MS SQL Server stored procedures) and I can't find a way to store a SELECT sql statement that will return the result of a query.

In SQL Server, it's okay to have a stored procedure in the form:

CREATE PROCEDURE qryGetDirections
@JobNum as varchar(20)
As
SELECT job, directions_desc
FROM tblDirections
WHERE job = @JobNum

When it is run, it simply returns a different result set based on the value of JobNum. In Oracle, a similar procedure would give me an error saying that I'm missing an INTO clause.

How would I convert the above into PL/SQL and store it as a procedure, or am I not able to store queries in an Oracle stored procedure? Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 07:41:54 CDT