Re: MTS ports ...

From: Paul Drake <paledHOWMUCHSPAMCANYOUEAT_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:55:06 GMT

Samuel Tran wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Which ports should I open on a firewall to allow connections to my
> Oracle 8.1.7 server configured with MTS ?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Sam

Hi Sam.

You have a bit of a project on your hands. I'll assume that you're using some form of Network Address Translation (NAT) on the firewall.
MTS is only half of the picture - but its a good start. If you use the Oracle Connection Manager utility (cman) - you need only open a port for each connection manager daemon - the default port will be used by the cmctl utility - which you can start without a cman.ora file. For best results, use a cman.ora file.

Check Metalink for Notes on how to configure this most easily. There is a section in the Technical Libraries for firewalls. The docs are also on Technet.

If you choose not to use cman - you will need to configure dispatchers to run of specific ports - and allow traffic on those ports. By default, the dispatchers grab random ports.

I would recommend Jonathan Gennick's Net8 book - ISBN 1-56592-753-2

Paul Received on Wed Aug 29 2001 - 19:55:06 CDT