Re: NLS with 8i(8.1.7) Solaris - Help

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:16:00 GMT

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, dirk_at_liberate.com wrote:
>
> > After doing several searches on technet I found three tables
> > that have a bearing on this: nls_instance_parameters,
> > nls_database_ parameters and nls_session_parameters.
>
> Here's a full listing of all the relevant dictionary tables.
> http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76961/toc.htm
> Bookmark it. I hit that reference all the time.

Thanks for that; here's the page that gave me the most insight into this problem:

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76966/ch2.htm#97248

Then search for "Checking NLS Parameters". I gives a good summary.

> > The "instance" table just has the two variables (NLS_LANGUAGE,
> > NLS_TERRITORY) filled in with everything else blank.
>
> Then, I assume you set only those two variables in your init.ora.

That's right just those two.

> > The "database" table has everyhting right except (NLS_LANGUAGE,
> > NLS_TERRITORY)
>
> It has everything from database creation, at least I believe.
>
> > and the "session" table has everything right.
>
> It should show you what that current session knows. The sort-of
> inconsistent thing here is that all values are filled, but with
> instance, only those set in the init.ora are filled.

I know, this is sort of puzzling, kind of like 'well it was written in the US' but you can go ahead and change the session.

> > Just checked another machine, where NLS_LANGUAGE and
> > NLS_TERRITORY are not explicitly set: the "instance" table has
> > these two variables set to AMERICAN and AMERICA, with
> > everything else blank.
>
> This must be because those two are required for Oracle to know.
> Just a conjecture.
>
> > It looks like nls_session_parameters is the determining
> > factor.
>
> If you can alter your session to set them at the session level,
> then they override the same settings at the database level.

Yes it seems that way.