Re: SYS account with two passwords

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 07:08:01 +1000

Perfectly normal... when SYS logs on as a normal user, we use data dictionary authentication, and when he claims SYSDBA rights, we use password file authentication. Two different places to look, two different passwords.

How do you "fix" it? By doing what the normal SYS password tells you to do: change SYS's password. Alter user SYS identified by NEWPASSWORD. That causes the data dictionary version to be updated, and for the new, updated password to be written to the password file. Bingo! Both passwords are now in synch (and will be thereafter for ever more).

Incidentally, if you want "normal" people to be SYSDBA, the mechanism is the same: "Grant SYSDBA to Frank" causes Oracle to find the data dictionary entry for Frank, and to transfer it to the password file -password and all. Frank never therefore suffers the problem of two different passwords depending on how pwerful he wants to be.

Regards