Changing user/pwd on home-grown Java DB pooled connections

From: Cary Gerber <carygerber_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2001 13:46:19 -0700

We are trying to implement maintenance logs at the DB/trigger level for every table in our database. These triggers would detect which column(s) change for every update and who it was that did it. However, our application uses a DB pool of connections, so one client, via several TCP transactions, could utilize any number of these connections over time. We want the trigger to detect the user doing the update and put this into a maint. log, so how do we reset the user on the DB connection? Will this basically cause the DB connection to disconnect and reconnect, which will greatly cause performance of our server app to decrease. I would have to believe that there is a way to set the user for future SQL statements on a connection so that the triggers could detect the user correctly and log the table changes. Is there a way to change the current user without a performance hit, or is there a better way for our triggers to detect the user that did the update? Received on Wed Aug 29 2001 - 15:46:19 CDT