Re: ORA-04031 and shared pool

From: MT <mtechera_at_wpmc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:38:20 +0200

Hi again Everyone.

Thanks for all the answers.

Concerning my problem, here is a little bit of a discovery I made which I cannot get any clarification
to. I ran the following statement:

select
sql_text
from
v$sqlarea

To my surprise I got less than 200 records back. I checked again and the shared pool was still at over 75% full. Here is how I check how full the shared pool is:

select

    to_number(p.value) "Total Pool",
    s.bytes "Free Bytes",
    round(( s.bytes / p.value ) * 100,1) "Free" from

    v$parameter p,
    v$sgastat s
where
p.name = 'shared_pool_size' and
s.name = 'free memory'

I don't understand how these two results make sense together.

Furthermore I still don't understand what "aging out" means. The LRU algorithm sound like some sort of stack but I don't see where it is described in any detail.

I'll see if I can get the patch level and post it tomorrow.

Regards,
Mario