formulas for correct sizing of various parameters

From: David Wilburn <dwilburn_at_mitre.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:43:08 -0400

I've got plenty of books and documents that all say that specifying correct values for initial/next/max extents, db_block_size, etc., are all critically important. However, I've yet to find any formulas specifying how to come up with the correct values.

I've read that (at least of solaris) the block size should be some multiple of the output of the command 'pagesize' (in this case, 8KB), but I'm not sure whether it should be 8KB, 16KB, etc. Which should it be?

How do I calculate appropriate values for initial/next/max extents?

We're getting a new system in shortly, and I'll have the opportunity to rebuild our DB, so I'd like to get things right the first time.

-Dave Wilburn Received on Wed Aug 29 2001 - 13:43:08 CDT