Re: problem with a SQL select request

From: John Russell <netnews_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:33:19 GMT

I believe the only way is to do a replace( ) on the string to double up the quotes.

I'm curious what the performance implications of such tests & transformations are. E.g. sometimes I wind up doing replace(replace(replace(string,'this','that'),'whatever','wherever'),'something else','yet again'). Sometimes I check whether the replaced string really exists using instr( ),usually when doing only a single replacement. Sometimes I do the replace( ) in the main SELECT, other times I get the real values via subquery and do replace( ) in the outer query, yet others I wait and do the replace( ) in PL/SQL. I wonder if there is some best-performing way to handle a sequence of such transformations?

John

--
Got an Oracle database question?
Try the search engine for the database docs at: