Re: Redo Log Size

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:53:16 +1000

The size of logs is determined by the rate at which you wish to log switch (and hence, to checkpoint). Small logs fill and switch faster than big logs. Personally, I recommend humungous logs that never switch (until you force a switch at 2am when no one gives a damn). But many DBAs seem to think that a log switch every hour or so is acceptable. (The trade off is Instance Recovery time -Instance Recovery means re-perform all transactions since the last checkpoint... if you're not checkpointing very often, then that could be a lot of transactions to replay).

Media Recoveries are not affected by the size of logs, since Media Recovery means replay all transactions since the last backup -and it doesn't matter if those transactions fill 3 archives or 30.

The number of groups is determined by the 'loop back' issue: You don't want to switch back to the first log group until it has been successfully checkpointed and archived, because there'll be a hang if you try it (you can't over-write active redo logs, and they stay active until checkpointed and archived). To avoid switching back on top of yourself, therefore, have extra groups.

The number of groups has absolutely zero bearing on recovery.

Regards