Re: NLS with 8i(8.1.7) Solaris - Help

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2001 23:13:08 -0500

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, dirk_at_liberate.com wrote:

>> Do I need to explicitly set NLS_LANGUAGE, NLS_TERRITORY
>> and NLS_CHARACTERSET in initORCL.ora, even though they were
>> set in the environment and during DB creation ?

NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERRITORY aren't referenced in a create DB statement while NLS_CHARACTERSET is.

If you set them in your initORCL.ora, they should

>> The client data (Korean Windows machine) is apparently using
>> KO16MSWIN949. Can this be forced into KO16KSC5601, which I
>> used to create the DB ?

You should set the client to have the particular environmental variable set.

>> Does the 8.1.7.1b patch address some of these issues if this
>> is not my problem ?

I have no clue.

>> Using jdbc thin driver to put data into the DB, do we set
>> the environment variables for jdbc, since we go from Windows
>> machine to server(jdbc thin) to Oracle ?

I believe jdbc requirements are the same, set the environmental variables.

> OK, I've solved part of the issues. It appears that someone
> (read developer) changed one of the 'CHARACTERSET' variables.
> I've recreated the DB with both set to the same thing now.
>
> I still get NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERRITORY set to AMERICAN
> and AMERICA even though they are set to KOREAN and KOREA
> in my environment variables. I tried to set them explicitly
> in initORCL.ora but a query of nls_database_parameters still
> shows AM... (???)

If you query nls_instance_parameters, you should find the initORCL.ora parameter settings that you set in the initORCL.ora file, so I think you are okay.

The question I have is what are the two different views telling us?

    Are the database parameters set at database creation time,     and therefore all of the nls variables other than     nls_character_set are set at creation time? How does Oracle     determine the rest of the variables settings?

    How do the nls_instance_parameters interact with the     nls_database_parameters. Do the nls_instance_parameters     override the nls_database_parameters like the environmental     parameters override the database and instance parameters?G

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.