Re: NLS with 8i(8.1.7) Solaris - Help

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:15:51 GMT

Dirk Kiehne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I didn't think we were having problems with our Asian Language
> DBs since I was careful to set NLS_LANG and ORA_NLS33 in my
> environment as well as select the right characterset during
> DB creation in dbassist.
>
> I find however, that after querying nls_database_parameters
> that I have:
>
> NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN (Should be KOREAN)
> NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA (Should be KOREA)
> NLS_CHARACTERSET KO16MSWIN949 (Incorrect)
>
> NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET KO16KSC5601 (Correct)
>
> I have a few questions that I hope someone will be able to help
> with:
>
> Do I need to explicitly set NLS_LANGUAGE, NLS_TERRITORY
> and NLS_CHARACTERSET in initORCL.ora, even though they were
> set in the environment and during DB creation ?
>
> The client data (Korean Windows machine) is apparently using
> KO16MSWIN949. Can this be forced into KO16KSC5601, which I
> used to create the DB ?
>
> Does the 8.1.7.1b patch address some of these issues if this
> is not my problem ?
>
> Using jdbc thin driver to put data into the DB, do we set
> the environment variables for jdbc, since we go from Windows
> machine to server(jdbc thin) to Oracle ?
>
> Thanks for any insight.
> -Dirk

OK, I've solved part of the issues. It appears that someone (read developer) changed one of the 'CHARACTERSET' variables. I've recreated the DB with both set to the same thing now.

I still get NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERRITORY set to AMERICAN and AMERICA even though they are set to KOREAN and KOREA in my environment variables. I tried to set them explicitly in initORCL.ora but a query of nls_database_parameters still shows AM... (???)

Any help greatly appreciated.
-Dirk Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 17:15:51 CDT