NLS with 8i(8.1.7) Solaris - Help

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:34:16 GMT

Hi,

I didn't think we were having problems with our Asian Language DBs since I was careful to set NLS_LANG and ORA_NLS33 in my environment as well as select the right characterset during DB creation in dbassist.

I find however, that after querying nls_database_parameters that I have:

	NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN	(Should be KOREAN)
	NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA	(Should be KOREA)
	NLS_CHARACTERSET KO16MSWIN949	(Incorrect)

	NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET KO16KSC5601 (Correct)

I have a few questions that I hope someone will be able to help with:

Do I need to explicitly set NLS_LANGUAGE, NLS_TERRITORY and NLS_CHARACTERSET in initORCL.ora, even though they were set in the environment and during DB creation ?

The client data (Korean Windows machine) is apparently using KO16MSWIN949. Can this be forced into KO16KSC5601, which I used to create the DB ?

Does the 8.1.7.1b patch address some of these issues if this is not my problem ?

Using jdbc thin driver to put data into the DB, do we set the environment variables for jdbc, since we go from Windows machine to server(jdbc thin) to Oracle ?

Thanks for any insight.
-Dirk Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 15:34:16 CDT