Re: Redo Log Size

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2001 11:46:38 -0700

In article <9mgl8q$eek2_at_interserv.etn.com>, "Bryce says...

>I have a 16G db that houses BLOB's anywhere from 0 to 2M.
>I have 4 redo log groups with each member being 1M in size.
>1M seems to be pretty large, but I'm getting errors in my alert log because
>arch isn't finished archiving when the log group needs to be used again.
>Sometimes in the alert log I can see where all 4 of the log groups have been
>gone through in less than 1 minute.
>
>I believe all indications point to increasing size or # of groups, but I'm
>not sure if Oracle recommends a max size for redo log files.
>
>Should I increase the size to 2M, or perhaps the # of groups to 5 or 6
>groups??

1 meg is sort of tiny -- i normally start at 25m or more and go up.

with 2m blobs -- if you are logging them (eg: they are not directly read/written to/from the disk), you want much larger logs then you have now and you want enough log so the "checkpoint not complete" or "archival not complete cannot allocate new log" messages stop happening.