Re: 9i parallel always reboot

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:02:53 +1000

"dbadba62" <dbadba62_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3B8AF3CA.31426630_at_hotmail.com...
> RAC 9i is parallel server in terms of parallel server, just much more
> functionalities. It is using cluster manager and node monitor and kernel
> building in watchdog to do the parallel server, why do you say it is not
> parallel server?

Because it isn't. If they wanted to call it Parallel Server, they would have done so. Do you say (of others, if not yourself) "they are running Windows 3.11 with knobs on"? Or do you rather say "They are running Windows Me"? Call it by what it is.

> 9i is not supported on RedHat 7.1 yet, but it does not mean it can not
work,
> there is only one small problem during the installation, but after you
> downloaded a small patch for the kernel, or manually compile a library
> "libclntsh.so". it can be installed smothly, there are quite a few
discussions
> about installing 9i on RedHat 7.1 on the internet. We are using RedHat
because
> we are using EMD hard disk for our raw device and we have had the
experience
> with it, we know it works perfect. Now we are working with Oracle and
EMD to
> get this combination certified.

Look, I couldn't give a monkey's what you run it on: it's not supported. That means Oracle gurus in head office couldn't exactly get it to work in a predicatable fashion on anything other than SuSe. You wanna beat the gurus? Go right ahead... no one is saying it's not possible.

But you are using a new product, in an advanced configuration, on an unsupported O/S, and you haven't bought Oracle support services.

Guess who I think is at fault here?

> All in all, we have our 9i RAC PARALLEL SEVER running on RedHat 7.1, with
EMD
> box as our raw device. A good dba and SA should know how to debug during
the
> installation, insteading of waiting Oracle to ship a perfect version to
you, you
> will lose the flexibility like in our case. The only problem we have now
is to
> learn how to config watchdog so we have more control over how and when to
> reboot the box, and that has nothing to do with RadHat or Suse.
>
> Thanks.

You are on on your own. I don't wish to be harsh. But not only are you an early adopter on an unsupported O/S, but you can't even distinguish between an old version and the next.

A good DBA knows when he's (or she's) on a hiding to nothing: you are on a hiding to nothing.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 08:02:53 CDT