Re: Calling PL/SQL function from JavaScript

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:27:00 GMT

On 27 Aug 2001 14:55:47 -0700, teresni_at_ucia.gov (Terri I.) wrote:

>Is it possible to call a PL/SQL function from within a block of
>JavaScript code? I have a form with a button - clicking that button
>launches some JavaScript code. I would then like that code to run a
>PL/SQL function, but simply including a line within the JS code like
>'var retcode = Function(variable);' results in an error that Function
>is not defined.... Any help would be appreciated!

AFAIK, you'd need to use a JSP-like approach. The button fires off not a direct PL/SQL call, but a little Java servlet that does the work: either via calling PL/SQL with JDBC or some other way of calling Java directly in the DB engine (of which I know of none...). So, a little more work may be required. There is also the possibility of using PSP (PL/SQL pages) but that requires you to use the ORACLE iAS: I'm not aware of any other AS that has a PL/SQL plug-in inside.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 05:27:00 CDT