URGENT! ODBC Gurus - please help!

From: Sebastian Scholz <e9926043_at_student.tuwien.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:02:12 GMT

Hello,

Is there a way to install an Oracle ODBC Driver (8.1.7) on a Client with NO Admin Privilege? At our customer site we need this Driver, but don't get admin rights.

My Idea to solve this:

-Copy all required Driver Files (sqora32.dll etc.) to c:\ODBC\
-Add a registry entry to HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ where Driver
points to c:\ODBC\sqora32.dll and all necessary Flags are set. (this will work on the Clients at the Customer)

This worked properly on my Server Machine where Oracle Server 8.1.7 is installed. Our Application which uses ODBC mapped the c:\ODBC\sqora32.dll and all other dlls to its process space.

What do you think about this solution? - Since I tested this on a Server Machine I'm not sure if it will work at the customer's clients.

Are there any Variables I have to set in order to use the ODBC Driver?

What about registry settings? Is NET8 really required? I know from the Customer that they added an Entry to their global tnsnames.ora file so name resolution is no problem. (we're able to connect to the server with sqlplus)

Are there other solutions for this problem?

Thank you!

Sebastian Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 04:02:12 CDT