Re: Oracle with Multi-processors

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 06:08:33 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> "icm" <icm_at_inforsud.fr> wrote in message news:9mddgl$olc$1_at_wanadoo.fr...
> > Hi,
> > We have a NT Server with 2 processors, and want to install Oracle using
> > multi-threads.
> > Is there anybody knowing this solution ?
> > Thank you for help... and I'm very confuse for my so bad English.
> > JP Clutier
> >

> The only way to take advantage of multiple processors is using the Parallel
> Query option included in the Enterprise Edition. No special installation
> necessary, you only need to configure Parallel Query (and to know it is not
> the panacea to all your performance problems)
> If you don't have the Parallel Query option, rest assured NT will try to
> distribute the workload.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

Do you really think that there's any point in using PQO with lesss than 4 CPUs?
(maybe when the newer Intel compatible chips with new compilers that are self-threading emerge, 2 might work).
I always thought that the overhead involved in administration and such mean that by rule, unless degree_of_parallelism => 4 - don't bother.

By the same token, since PQO only is applicable for certain ops - FTS, create index, direct loads, recovery, etc - that most OLTP DML wouldn't take advantage of PQO.

One more thing - by the way the question was worded - one could assume that this person would not know how design a storage subsystem that would be able to take advantage of PQO. (partitioned?)

multiple parallel query slaves looking for the same data blocks wouldn't help much.

My guess is that he has a single 3 drive RAID 5 volume - running software RAID.

Paul Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 01:08:33 CDT